Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Typical day in Cusco

Brig and I are LOVING our time here in Cusco!!! There we so many things to blog about but I'll just pick a few.

So our typical schedule is wake up at 7:00, which is surprisingly easy here since it gets light at 5:30, and eat breakfast (fruit salad, bread, cereal, yogurt, and some type of fruit smoothie...we are spoiled). We then get ready for placement at the clinic and leave by 8:20 to be at our clinic by 8:30.

Our clinic usually looks like this every morning as people wait to be seen by the doctor.


There is always a line going through the door--it's first come first serve 


I've spent 2weeks in pediatrics and I am currently in my second week in the medical unit. I've done a lot of throat checks where I use a Popsicle stick and, yes, my iPhone flashlight, to check sore throats (one was so bad it was pus filled-yuck!) I also check their lungs to see if there is fluid or phlegm. If they are little kids I always give them cute stickers and then they start smiling at me instead of looking at me in fear. 

One kid had positive results for roundworm, and when I looked surprised, the head doctor told me that 90 out of 100 kids get them (CRaZy)!

I've also witnessed patients with kidney stones, bladder infections, high fevers, and wild dog bites.

I love learning and feeling like I am useful here! All the doctors, nurses, and medical assistants are so helpful and love teaching us about the Peruvian medical system! 

However, the medical paper work here is crazy! It takes at least 10 minutes to fill out all the paper work for each patient, and there are only a couple of computers so everything is hand written. Each month they check and double check all the charts and records of the patients, and also make copies for the government.... It takes a lot of time.

We stay at the clinic until 12:00 unless there are no more patients, then we can leave a little earlier. 

We then go home and eat our delicious lunch and I. The afternoon we usually go out and explore or hang out in the plazas. Brig will also work on his medical application (he turns it in soon!) while I teach Zumba to the girls in the house. 

Dinner is a seven, and we usually will start a movie but never finish it before we go to bed at like 10:30.

Other awesome things we have done are 

$10 dollar,1 hour massages

Truffle making class at the chocolate museum ( it was just me and a couple of girls that live with us)

Final product!!!! They taste soo goooood! We made chicimoya bonbons and Oreo and coconut truffles 

The 2 hour class is only $25 and you get to take home lots of yummy chocolate.

Ir also done a loooot of shopping, but everything here is so cute, warm, and cheap!!

This hat was $3.08 and the alpaca socks are $1.92

We also hiked to bolcan del diablo which is just outside of cusco


I also made an Incan friend!

He taught us some Quechua phrases

 

No comments:

Post a Comment