These cool geometric chairs have been in my family FOREVER! And when I say forever, I mean it. They're at least 50 years old.
My amazing grandpa had these chairs at his family practice (he was a doctor) and after he retired they went up to our family cabin in Idaho for extra seating!
|My handsome Grandpa! He was a doctor on WWII|
The cabin was a place to play and be with family, so they were definitely hammered over the years and needed some touching up, and luckily I was able to snatch them up when they were no longer needed!
So I do not have any 'during' pictures, I'm sorry!! We were able to redo them so fast! First, I unscrewed the seats from the frames, then we just painted them with Annie Sloan graphite paint! It took 2-3 coats, and was a little bit of a pain getting every edge of all those cut outs but it was totally worth it. I also am glad we didn't lighten it up the gray at all, but kept it that deep graphite color.
After the paint dried we waxed them and buffed them with the clear wax and some old t shirts!
Now on to the seat cushions! I originally wanted these two chairs to go out on our deck, but after they turned out so cute, I wanted them inside for everyday use! Anyways, I went shopping for outdoor fabric at Joann's and fell in love with this print! (All their outdoor fabrics were also 50% off so I got 1 yard for 10 bucks, score!)
I also knew I wanted a much fatter cushion, so I just bought a foam block and cut the edges to fit the frame of the seat.
Once I stripped off the old leather cover, I glued the foam down to the wooden board using super glue. I then cut the fabric around the seat cushion so there was around a 4 inch border on the edges (I had a fat cushion). I then placed the foam side down on the fabric cut out. It looked similar to this one
The website above is actually the website I read to redo these, thank you Pinterest!
Then my mom and I started stapling the fabric around the edges. We first started in the middle of the back side, making our way to the corners, and carefully folding the fabric so it looked good from the front. I was also very sure to pull tightly so it didn't pucker anywhere or get too loose.
Like this one!
Once it was all stapled, we trimmed the excess fabric off so it wouldn't show from the bottom, and then just screwed the chairs back into their frames!
Here is the final product!!!
Here it is on our living room wall!! I call that section of the wall the "Grandpa Wall"--the chair being from my Grandpa Crandall, and the dutch tiles being from my Grandpa VanYperen! I love the way it turned out and how it fits right into our living/family room! The other chair is our desk chair for now.
|The Grandpa Wall|